Christians Under the Stairs
Thirty Hour Famine: March 7-8, 2008
Information on this year's 30 Hour Famine can be found on the Mission Moments Page of this web site. Click the Button above.
Christians Under the Stairs Goals
So why are we called Christians Under the Stairs (C.U.T.S.)? It's simple... we meet in a basement and, during our get togethers, the group faces the stairs leading to our youth room, known as Down 'n Under (go down the stairs and under the chapel to meet).
And what are our goals? We have four:
- To create a safe place for our young people to meet and develop lasting, trusting Christian friendships while having fun together.
- To challenge our young people to learn more about their Christian faith.
- To provide ways for them to put their faith into action.
- To provide opportunities for our older young people to take a leadership role in guiding the younger members in their faith journey.
So simply speaking it is Faith... Fun... and Friends!
To learn ideas to establish these goals for your youth group gatherings, click on the following:
Not the Same Old, Done-it-before Youth Meeting (the book)
Youth Leaders' Vision for 2008-09
We, the youth leaders have many insightful ideas for our youth group community. Last years' themes included friendship and leadership. However, this year we decided to change our themes to faith, hope and trust. With these themes, we believe we can accomplish our goals for the youth group this year.
We have high hopes for new faces, more support for our nation and more participation in the church. We want to lure new participants into our youth group. We would also like to send a helping hand to those who need it most. We have reached an agreement in which we will help charities such as the Red Cross foundation. Lastly, we would like to not only continue our leadership in church services but to also make them more frequently. Therefore, we have agreed to make these visions achievements. We hope to have a great year.
Chantel Durgana, Danny Ermert, John Gower and Dennis Marsh
Don't miss our new Halloween Pictures ... Halloween Pictures 2008
We at the Christians Under the Stairs Youth Group have several goals for the program. One is to take time to share our faith with our friends while having fun.
FAITH ... FUN ... FRIENDS is one of our mottos at the Youth Group.
Fifties Night : the Youthful Spirit: The Christians Under the Stairs Youth Group received a challenge from the elders of the Deer Park Community Presbyterian Church - to bring a "youthful spirit" into the midst of the church. Now what could possibly bring more of a youthful spirit to an eagerly awaiting church than a Fifties Night?
Soon we will have our annual "Let's Ask God" discussion with another youth group, this time the youth from Abiding Prescence Lutheran Church of Ft. Salonga, New York. Prior to the discussion, a volleyball match will be played. Pictures will come after the event on November 9th. Here's a picture from last year's event.
During a halloween party of costumes and the snatching of GUMMY WORMS...
Fall Calendar of Events
Click above to view all events.
Sunday, January 4th - 9:00 AM Bagel Breakfast at church
at 7:00 PM First Meeting of New Year. Preparation for International Bible Treasure Hunt and Youth Worship Service.
- Sunday, January 11th - 6:00 PM (sharp) International Bible Treasure Hunt... special invitation to college students home for winter break to join the group. There are youth groups from seven countries and eight states registered to compete in this truly international event.
- Sunday, January 18th at 7:00 PM Results of the Treasure Hunt. How well did the group do? What did we learn about faith, hope and trust ... key topics of study for the year? How many miles would someone have to walk to find hose treasures? Can we keep the youth promise discovered in the hunt?
- Sunday, January 25th at 7:00 PM Volleyball with adults of the church. Is this the year the Youth Group wins? Adults have won every year since 1998!! There are some wounded members of the adult team so maybe ... this is the year!
- Sunday, February 1st at 6:00 PM Super Bowl Party But we need a home. Youth group will provide hero and pizza. If no home is found there will be a one hour youth meeting from 7:00 to 8:00 PM We will read "God is Greater than the King", discuss and be done in time for people to return home to see the second half of the game.
- Sunday, February 8th at 7:00 PM . Lent and Love. In preparation for Valentines Day, we look at different elements of love. In preparation for Lent, we look at things that would be worth giving up. Then we compare the two lists. Challenging, thought provoking and fun. Two four letter words starting with "L".
- Sunday, February 15th at 7:00 PM The youth leaders are in charge, preparing events and discussion. Details to be announced..
- Sunday, February 22nd at 7:00 PM We prep for the 30 Hour Famine and chose Olympic Teams for the Christian Youth Olympics Games, Deer Park style. Volunteer captains needed and make sure you pick ones who will get the banner done on time this year!!!!!!!!! Olympics formally begin on March 15th.
Fun with Friends in Deer Park, NY and ... Fun with Friends around the world in January 2009 !!
Join the International Bible Treasure Hunt! Write to Mountgote@AOL.com to sign up.
Christians Under the Stairs Newsletter Excerpts
Retreat Thoughts - Top Ten List
Number 10... The Lemmings and what we learned about the dangers of conforming without thinking about what we are doing.
Number 9... The wrestling match - Harris and Michael and sleeping bags.
Number 8... The Lemon Squeeze and the fact that all who tried made it - with ease.
Number 7... Having fun without a computer - yes, walking on a frozen lake, skimming rocks across it with friends is fun!
Number 6... A candle ceremony and once again praying together on Sunday morning.
Number 5... All kinds of good food and lots of it - thanks to Linda, Rick and Cathy, our chefs.
Number 4... Amazing Grace - the song, the movie and the commitment to a seventeen year long journey before William Wilberforce arrived at his goal. Can we be so committed?
Number 3... Music and talents at the Talent Show - after the wrestling match Vito and Stephen rap, Rick and Tim rock and Vicki croons. Dennis juggles and the two Dans perform - magic and, well, nose kicks ?!?
Number 2... The Journey starts but does not end... we remember Stop Signs, Road Narrows Signs, One Way Signs and Dead End Signs. The lesson learned ... with the support of Christian friends and the Spirit of God, we will not falter but overcome each and every road block in our quest for truth.
Number 1... "Lean on Me" - yes, we are not alone. We have supportive Christian friends and Jesus says when two or three of you gather together in my name I am with you.
This was our topic not only at the Progressive Dinner but also was the treasure discovered during our treasure hunt on Halloween. "For by Grace are you saved through Faith... it is not by works." Take time to think about this statement. It is not our good deeds that bring us close to God. It is our faith and our acceptance of the grace of God.
Remember our definition of "grace". It is a special favor, unmerited divine assistance. Important words for each of us to think upon. Our good deeds do not bring us close to God. It is God's grace that, through our faith, motivates us to do the good deeds that please him.
This is good news - God doesn't expect us to be perfect - just to be faithful by opening our hearts and by inviting His Spirit in. The answers each car gave to the Grace, Faith, Friendship question will be posted on the web site at the beginning of the New Year as a new Youth Question of the Month.
Come visit our second website at: Christian Youth Stars